Steamed egg with shrimp, what is not to love? This meal is easy to assemble; ready in less than 30 minutes. The texture is smooth and pudding-like, and the sauce is a must.
What is a Steamed Egg?
This recipe has varieties; Chinese and Korean steamed eggs are the most popular. This dish of beaten eggs and water is then steamed until firm with a custard-like texture.
Equipment and tools needed:
-Fine mesh sieve or strainer: this tool is optional, but I highly recommend it. This helps catch solid egg particles and smooth the egg and water mixture.
-Whisk: This is to help mix the egg and water.
-Baking bowl or dish: this is important for steaming and can withhold high temp.
Steamed Egg Ingredients:
Loving this recipe? Check out these recipes:
- The Best Air-fried Corn Riblets
- The Best and Easy Egg Drop Soup
- The Best Mochi Brownies
- The Best Kimchi Cauliflower Fried Rice with Corn Cheese
- The Best Frittatas Are Like Omelets But Better.
Steamed eggs with Shrimp
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch Salt
- 5-6 pieces Shrimp
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp Tamari (or low sodium soy sauce)
- Drizzle Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1-2 tbsp Chopped Green onion
Water for the steamer
- Add water and your steaming basket in a pot, and bring this to a boil while you prep the egg mixture.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, water, and salt. Whisk until very well combined.
- In an oven-safe baking dish, add the mesh sieve or strainer and run the egg through to remove the air bubbles.
- Cover the bowl with a saran wrap (this will help with the water moisture from dripping into the egg).
- Steam the egg for (8-12 minutes); remember that steamers are not created equal. Mine had set after 10 minutes.
- Prep the shrimp and set aside.
- Once the egg has hardened a bit, add the shrimp on top. Cover and steam for another (6-8 minutes). Mine cooked after 7 minutes.
- Prep the sauce
- Once done, serve with a side of rice, and pour the sauce over the egg and shrimp. Enjoy!