The perfect buttery homemade garlic rolls you’ll make this holiday season, with crispy edges and a soft center.
What you’ll need?
-Whole wheat flour: I love using it as it has a milder flavor and offers whole-grain benefits.
-Instant yeast: just like active dry yeast, made up of granules; however, you do not need to activate it before it’s added to the recipe.
-Water: this is to get the recipe ingredients to mix well together.
-Plant egg: I’m keeping this recipe plant-based, so I used plant egg. Feel free to use one egg for this recipe.
-Vegan butter: for the sake of this recipe being plant-based, I used vegan butter.
-Olive oil mixed with minced garlic and garlic salt.
-Melted vegan butter
-Dried basil or fresh
Dairy-free & Egg-free Garlic Rolls
- 400 gram Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 packet Instant yeast
- 1 cup Lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp Vegan butter
- 3 tbsp Plant-egg
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 tbsp Minced garlic
- Garlic salt
- 2 tbsp Melted vegan butter
- 1 tbsp Dried basil or fresh
- In a bowl, combine flour and instant yeast
- Make a well and slowly incorporate the water. Start with 2/3 cups, this will help your dough not be too watery.
- Add plant egg vegan butter and mix the dough (at this point, add more water if needed, you want your dough to be sticky but not too sticky.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until smooth, sprinkle flour over the surface to reduce stickiness.
- Place the dough back into the bowl; cover and let it rise for about an hour.
- In a bowl, mix olive oil + minced garlic (set aside)
- After an hour (dough should’ve doubled in size), roll the dough into a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin.
- Spread the stuffing mixture over the dough, sprinkle garlic salt
- Starting at the bottom, tightly roll the dough up (creating a log-shaped dough).
- Seal the edges of the dough or cut excess dough
- Cut 1 in section with a knife (10-12 pieces)
- Place each roll in a greased baking pan (cover with plastic wrap and towel let rise for 30 min)
- Preheat oven 350F
- Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake dough 20-25 minutes or just slightly golden brown
- Mix vegan butter and chopped basil
- Brush the mixture on top of the rolls and enjoy.