Crispy eggrolls or Lumpia are a must in my family gatherings. It wouldn’t be a feast without it. These homemade shrimp and veggie eggrolls are the perfect appetizers to serve at your next party, crunchy, crispy, and delicious!
Egg roll vs. Spring roll?
Both choices are delicious, and yes, they have a big difference.
Spring rolls have different wrappers, like thin rice wrappers, typically stuffed with fresh veggies and your choice of meat. They can be baked, fried, or left uncooked. They are usually served with peanut sauce.
An egg roll is a fried appetizer. It is wrapped in thick, crispy wheat flour with egg and typically filled with ground meat and veggies. Egg rolls are fried and served with either sweet and sour sauce or the Philippines vinegar dipping sauce.
Where to buy egg roll wrappers?
-It is unsurprising that major grocery stores now sell egg roll wrappers. They are typically found in the international food aisle or the produce/deli section near vegetarian/vegan items.
How to make egg rolls?
-You will need a suitable egg roll wrapper to hold the fillings together.
-Make the filling ahead, so you do not burn yourself while wrapping the eggrolls.
-To roll an eggroll, lay one wrapper sheet on a clean plate or surface, diamond shape. Then, add the filling on the flap closest to you. Then fold the flap over the filling, and keep it as tight as possible. Next, fold both side flaps towards the middle (like an envelope). Finally, brush the egg into the last flap and roll to seal completely. Repeat these steps until you have everything wrapped.
-Freeze or fry as soon as possible.
For this recipe:
-Peas and carrots
-Vermicelli (rehydrated and drained)
-Egg roll wrappers or Lumpia wrappers
-Eggs (for sealing)
-Salt & white pepper
-Vegetarian oyster sauce
-Pinch of sugar
-Sweet and sour sauce (store-bought)
– or Vinegar sauce
Shrimp and Veggie Egg rolls
- 3 20 sheets Eggroll Wrappers
- 3 Eggs (Scrambled for sealing each eggrolls)
- 1 lb Shrimp (If frozen, completely thaw and pat dry)
- 4 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 medium Cabbage (chopped)
- 1 cup Peas
- 1 cup Carrots
- 1 70g Vermicelli thin noodles (rehydrated and drained)
- 4-5 tbsp Vegetarian or oyster sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Mushroom seasoning (salt and pepper if you don't have this)
- Pinch Sugar
- Mince or blend the shrimp into paste-like texture
- Chop the cabbage into thin slices
- Rehydrate the vermicelli noodles with hot water, soak them until tender, then drain.
- Add oil and lightly sauté the cabbage in a pan for about 3-5 minutes. This will help drain some water and make adding to the egg roll mix easier. Let it cool down before adding the shrimp.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, garlic, sauteed cabbage, peas, carrots, vermicelli noodles, and all the seasonings. Microwave a small piece to taste the mixture, then adjust to your liking. Add more oyster sauce, if needed, or mushroom seasoning.
- To roll an eggroll, lay one wrapper sheet on a clean plate or surface, diamond shape. Then, add up to 2 tbsp of filling on the flap closest to you. Then fold the flap over the filling, and keep it as tight as possible. Next, fold both side flaps towards the middle (like an envelope). Finally, brush the egg into the last flap and roll to seal completely. Repeat these steps until you have everything wrapped.
- Freeze or fry them right away.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce or vinegar sauce