Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
I know everyone is not a fan of the classic green bean casserole and has their favorite side dish. For this recipe, I used fresh green beans, not canned, and homemade cream of mushroom. Talk about budget-friendly ingredients that will complete your Thanksgiving feast.
-Fresh Green Beans: There is nothing wrong with using canned green beans, but fresh always elevates the dish’s flavor.
-Homemade Cream of Mushroom: This one is made with almond milk and is the best dairy-free cream of mushroom for this dish. You can make this ahead of time (a day or two earlier before making the green bean casserole).
-Mushroom seasoning: I love using this seasoning, especially with mushrooms. If you do not have this seasoning, you can use salt.
-Tamari or low sodium soy sauce: I love adding a splash of soy sauce to my green bean casserole to give it that earthy look. It’s optional, but believe me when I say it is perfect, and it works!
-Fried onions: I used french’s, the perfect topping.
What to do:
-Prep the green beans (cut the ends and cut them in half)
-Bring water to a boil, and cook the fresh green beans (4-5 minutes)
-Then add them to an ice bath to stop the green beans from cooking (ice cubes + water).
-Mix the DF cream of mushroom and green beans in a baking dish.
-Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.
-Top with fried onions, and enjoy!
Dairy-Free Green Bean Casserole
- 1 lb Fresh green beans
Dairy-free cream of mushroom
- 4 oz Bella mushroom (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Mushroom seasoning
- 2 tbsp Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Whole wheat flour
- Up to 3/4 cup Water
- 1 cube Vegetable cube
- 1/2 Red onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Almond milk (unsweetened)
- Crispy fried onion
- Cut the ends of the green beans and cut them in half
- Bring water to a boil (add a pinch of salt). Once boiling, add the green beans and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Prepare an ice bath for the green beans (this stops the green beans from overcooking).
- Drain and set aside (until ready to add to the cream of mushroom).
Dairy-free Cream of Mushroom
- In a saucepan, saute the mushroom, and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Add the whole wheat flour, slowly pour the almond milk, and mix.
- In a cup, mix the water and vegetable broth, and slowly pour that into the mixture.
- Cover and bring to a simmer.
- At this point, taste the sauce, and add mushroom seasoning (if not available, use salt, if needed).
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- In a baking dish, pour in the green bean mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Once done, top with crispy onion.